What Happens if I Don’t Report a W-2?

Filing taxes can be a daunting task, and it’s easy to make mistakes. One common mistake is forgetting to report a W-2. If you make this mistake, you could face penalties from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

Penalties for Not Reporting a W-2

The IRS imposes penalties on employers who fail to file W-2s for their employees. The penalties are based on the number of days the W-2 is late and the number of employees affected.

How to Avoid Penalties

There are a few things you can do to avoid penalties for not reporting a W-2:

  1. File your W-2s on time. The deadline for filing W-2s is January 31st. If you file your W-2s late, you could face a penalty of $60 per W-2.
  2. File a corrected W-2. If you make a mistake on a W-2, you can file a corrected W-2. This will help you avoid penalties for filing an incorrect W-2.
  3. Request an extension. If you can’t file your W-2s on time, you can request an extension from the IRS. The IRS will grant an extension if you have a good reason for not being able to file on time.

What if I Don’t Report a W-2?

If you don’t report a W-2, the IRS could impose a penalty of up to $250,000. The IRS may also pursue criminal charges against you.

It’s important to report all of your income to the IRS, even if you don’t receive a W-2. If you don’t report all of your income, you could face penalties and interest charges.

Here are some additional tips for avoiding penalties:

  • Keep good records of your income and expenses.
  • File your taxes on time.
  • Pay your taxes in full.
  • If you can’t pay your taxes in full, contact the IRS to make a payment arrangement.

By following these tips, you can avoid penalties and keep your finances in order.

Additional Information

The IRS has a number of resources available to help you file your taxes correctly. You can visit the IRS website or call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040.

You can also get help from a tax professional. A tax professional can help you prepare your taxes and make sure that you’re reporting all of your income.

Don’t Wait to File

If you’re missing a W-2, don’t wait to file your taxes. File your taxes on time and include a statement explaining that you’re missing a W-2. The IRS will work with you to get the missing W-2 and process your tax return.

What Happens If You Don’t File A W-2 Statement?


Will the IRS catch a missing W-2?

The IRS will contact the employer or payer and request the missing form.

Is it illegal to file taxes without a W-2?

You still must file your tax return on time even if you do not receive your Form W-2. If you cannot get a W-2 by your tax-filing deadline, you may use Form 4852, “Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement,” but it will delay any refund due while the information is verified.

Do I have to claim all my w2s?

Yes. When you e-file your return, we send an electronic version of your W-2 to the IRS, based on the information you enter on the Wages (Form W-2) screen. You’ll need to enter all the information from your W-2. If you have multiple W-2s, enter each one separately.

What if my employer never filed my W-2?

If you don’t get a W-2 by end of February If you contacted your employer and still don’t have your W-2, call us at 800-829-1040. Have your information ready so we can help you: Name, address and phone number.

Leave a Comment